Although I dont have a file named jappend.bat in my installatiuon (there is
a cappend.bat though)...

I found that on win98 (not 95) the batch files didn't set the environment
variables:-(
the solution was to make a list of all the commands needed to set up the
ENV, and start tomcat the way I needed it, then copy-n-paste this into the
terminal window (oops, sorry I mean DOS prompt)

There are bound to be better ways than this ~:-) but you shouldn't really be
running servers on win95 anyway should you!
not when linux is free..
(I only did it so I could mess with servlet ideas on my laptop. )

other tips include (stating the bleedin' obvious);
use the newest jre or jdk.
dont bother with apache (after all you're not using  win95 for a live
machine now are you .. ?)
make sure java is working properly before you even try to start Tomcat,
and don't alter the configuration until you've seen the examples served on
http://localhost:8080/