Great.  :-)
I would like to see it if that would be ok.  I am running under Windows NT right now,
due to a couple of dependancies I have not had time to
overcome yet.

Hmm.  Running Tomcat under UNIX sounds like a solution that would prevent the need to
check if Tomcat is running, at least for me.  ;-)

I seem to have fewer occasions where processes/people kill my applications
accidentally/deliberately under UNIX/LINUX than under Windows.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, William Kaufman wrote:

> You could also just add a line in you shell script or batch file to
> send email after tomcat has run.
>
> FWIW, I like your option (2): you can even detect catastrophic
> failures on the server, just by locating the program on another
> (theoretically "safer") machine.
>
> And, can I mention that I'm entertained that anyone still uses the
> word "abend"? ;-)

FWIW, I have something that takes a simple approach to this -- it
periodically (using sleep) does a number of checks to make sure tomcat
is running OK -- first, it checks that the tomcat process is running
at all (using ps, so this is a UNIX solution), and it also checks that
there are no OutOfMemoryError's in the appropriate log file.  I have
it set up so that it emails me and/or restarts tomcat, if appropriate.
(And now, as I occasionally have some OutOfMemoryError problems, it
looks like I have some memory leak type problems, so I need to go over
my code and find the problems :-).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]