I've just overcome this situation too, and would say my code now has 75%
more explicit
flush(), close(), and x=null statements, plus make sure you're using
hotspot, as gc on hotspot seems to be 1,000,000,000 times more effective

I *know* what you are going through, don't give up youwill win in the end.

in my case I ran out of memory after about 2-300,000 hits. now it sits
happily on a test set-up at 19-24% memory use, 84% cpu load serving 12
clients 2 hits per second each, day in day out no complaints.

d.

;-)