Try something like -green (as opposed to -native) as the first command
line argument. This is how it works on the bd jdk 1.17 at least. If not,
have a look at the $JAVA_HOME/bin/java wrapper, it should have details in
there, and probably a way to change the default threading model.

Like you, the process lists used to annoy me, but after getting over the
initial emotional trauma (!), they became easy to live with. The process
lists on some of my boxes are so large anyway that I use 'ps ax|grep
<whatever>' to find processes regardless.

Kevin