My apologies for inadvertantly FUDding JRun. We have run JRun 2.3 with much better
success. I don't know if it is just me, but JRun products seem to like NT
environments better. The setups that we have had with JRun/NT have all worked
great. Our problems have only manifested when connected to Apache under Solaris.

My problem was specifically with JRun 3.0+Apache. We would experience daily
lockups, where all requests would eventually timeout. The normal stop/start of JRun
wouldn't work, the java process had to be kill -9'd (sending TERM had no effect).
Once you did that, the error_log would spam nondescript errors. Not wanting to sign
a support contract <g> I posted several times to Allaire's JRun forums about the
issue. I got a few "I'm having the exact same problem" replies, but never did find
a solution.

Eventually I figured out I could hang it on demand by changing a jsp file, saving
it, then loading the page in the browser within a second or two of saving. It would
reduce to kill -9 status every time. Around then I decided to try Tomcat just to
see how it did. Once I saw how good it was I never looked back. :)

If you are a current JRun user, don't be alarmed by my words - my case seemed to be
a pretty isolated one. But if you are looking for a fast, stable servlet container,
then run don't walk to Tomcat! Once you lose a few hairs and learn out how to
configure it, it will be your best friend.

-Scott
(p.s. This is not to discount other servlet containers. I hear resin is fast and
stable, and it does have a pretty attractive licensing setup)

--
Scott Tatum | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects