well I used a different Apache-how-to (which was made with php in mind)
after reading the devshed manual I came to the conclusion I needed to
re-install Red Hat (apache configuration was wrong)

and now reinstall like this

cd /tmp/apache1.3.19
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=so <- I didn't do
this, that's why I couldnt use LoadModule
cd /tmp/php4.0.4
./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache1.3.19 --enable-track-vars
make
make install
cd /tmp/apache1.3.19
./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
make
make install
cd /tmp/php4.0.4
cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini
*** edit httpd.conf ***
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
**** unzip/tar Tomcat to ****
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat
cd bin
**** edit tomcat to know where the JDK is ***
**** Start Tomcat ***
**** copy mod_jk.so to /apache/libexec ***
*** edit httpd.conf ***
Include "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf-auto"

Start Apache

any comments ?