On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Lian, Xiaobu (Alice) (Xiaobu (Alice)) wrote:

> Milt and Martin,
>
> Thanks very much for your response!
> I would like to put all servlet classes in WEB-INF directory by
> following the standard, but our people prefer to keep their original
> ~/servlets directory for servlet classes.  So what I did was using
> Unix symbolic link to let /mytest/WEB-INF/classes -->
> /mytest/servlets.  It works with Tomcat, but not apache. Any better
> way to deal with this?
>
> In mod_jk.conf-local,
> I used JkMount /servlets/* ajp12
>        JkMount /*.jsp ajp12
>
> Do I need to use JkMount /mytest /
>               or JkMount /mytest/servlets/* /servlets/*  ?
>  I have not done these because I do not know much about the JkMount syntax.

I think you're going to have to do some more of your own debugging.
Or at least provide some more information.  Things to look at include:

  What URL(s) you are using
  What is happening (as opposed to just "it's not working")
    Is it a 404 Not Found?  Or some other web server error?
    Is the error coming from Apache or Tomcat?
    You should be able to tell from the format of the error page,
    and/or you can look in the respective log files

My guess is the problem has to do with Apache not knowing to pass the
URL(s) in question to Tomcat.  That usually means you need to
add/change something in your tomcat/apache conf file.

> I only revised existing lines in mod_jk.conf.  I used
> mod_jk.conf-local because I found mod_jk.conf-auto did not include
> my setup in server.xml.  Instead, it only covered everything under
> $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps into its contexts.
>
> To make it simple, I did not try to figure out how to change the way
> mod_jk.conf-auto was created, but decided to use mod_jk.conf-local
> instead.

Good idea, because I don't believe you can 100% control what goes into
mod_jk.conf-auto.  General advice seems to me copy it, modify it, and
use the modified one.