Thank you very much for the advice Jeff.  I'll have a go at that.  We *are*
using a thread pool
to run threads that make connections to our database but we have Tomcat in
standalone mode.
The Tomcat documentation describes setting the max_threads, etc of the ajpv12
connector but
i'd suppose the other connectors would have the same/similar syntax.

Cheers

AndyM