On Wed, 2 May 2001, Skinner, Dallas M wrote:

> Excuse me if this question is obvious.  If Tomcat can be run in a
> standalone mode, why should it be used in conjunction with apache?

Well, it's been asked many times, so you can check the archives for
answers.  But basically, Apache is more reliable, more robust, faster,
more flexible, more configurable, etc.  If you're only doing
JSP/servlet stuff, then maybe it would make sense to use Tomcat
standalone, but in general, I think it's much better to use it in
conjunction with Apache (or some web server).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]