From: Steven Parks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 8:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: How to obtain user's IP address

The name of the 'user' would be dependent on the machine which called the
servlet.  Where did you get request.getRemoteUser()??
There is a getRemoteHost and getRemoteAddr method to the ServletRequest
class which will return either the host or IP-Address of the calling
machine...
public abstract String getRemoteHost()
Returns the fully qualified host name of the agent that sent the request.
Same as the CGI variable REMOTE_HOST.
Never having tried it myself, cannot say if it is reliable under all
browsers or calling contexts....