For development, we're doing exactly that: starting five different Tomcat
processes, each with its own server.xml (specified with a "-f" command-line
flag) which specifies the set of ports to use.

Now, we're not using JSPs, but servlets.  There may be some issues with
recompilation of JSPs in one Tomcat instance confusing another one--you
might want to turn off class reloading to be safe.  But everything else
should work fine.

                                                            -- Bill K.