thanks steve,

But I am connect to tomcat 3.2.1 directly (not apache
in midddle). it looks like TCP connection exist even i
click cancel during download until i close IE.

i will get :
IOException in doGet(): java.net.SocketException:
Connection reset by peer: socket write error
when I close IE window.

i am pretty sure tomcat 3.2.1 don't not support
presistent connection(HTTP/1.1 connection keep alive).
 it must be IE didn't close the socket.

If i use apache in between. i will never get an
exception in servlet. Is that right?  what i think is
apache will always buffer the whole file when it get
some request from client. Is that right? even for
static content.

But how about for a very big file like 100MB. will it
buffer the whole file too? when user click cancel in
the very beginning.

thanks.