Erik Boles wrote:

> We are running Linux 7.1 on an intel box with MySQL 3.23.37 and Tomcat
> 1.17.2.1.  It seems like every morning the box is somewhat locked up.  We
> can telnet in, but cannot get any web pages to display, if we restart httpd
> we can now see pages, but no .jsp pages work, if we attempt ot stop tomcat,
> it just hangs.  ps -ef shows a lot of java processes running (which I think
> is just a tomcat thing in a virtual environment)

How large is the setting of the virtual memory on your system?
Try to run Tomcat, and then top. Have the system some load, and monitor
the output of top; if the Mem has 0 free and Swap is 0 too, you'd need a
larger swap space.

> if we kill them all, it
> will then let us reboot the box, which takes about 10 minutes (about 8
> minutes to long IMHO), once th ebox is back up,

Why do you have to kill 'em all? The proper way to shutdown Tomcat is
"catalina.sh stop."
But if it doesn't work, you can try "pstree -Gap", and see the root JVM
process' id, then kill -TERM <pid>.

>we must manually start
> tomcat for everything to work.

I think you'd have to learn how to write startup scripts. I don't know
what you mean with "Linux 7.1"; anyway, usually the startup scripts
reside in /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d/init.d; depends on the distro). On
Debian, there is /etc/init.d/skeleton, that can be copied as a, well,
your skeleton startup script for starting Tomcat.

Oki