Why do you need to edit web.xml, whenever you add a servlet?
I do not think there is anything editable that will help in adding
servlets in the web.xml file.

If you add a new servlet in an existing context, it should be
automatically being recognised and run.

Otherwise, if you want to add it in a new context, you need to
change the server.xml, add the servlet and stop/start tomcat.

Frans