I'm not sure, but the classes CLASSPATH may NOT be available to webapps. The
Servlet 2.3 spec (Sections 9.4, 9.6.1, 9.6.2) seem to imply that.

Put the xerces.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory of the webapp and see if the
same error arises.

The spec says (in 9.6.1)
<snip>
Web containers are recommended to have a mechanism by which they can expose
to the
application classloaders of every web app therein extra JAR files containing
resources and
code. It is recommended that they provide a user-friendly way of editing and
configuring
these library files or extensions, and that they expose information about
what extensions are
available to web applications deployed on the web container. Application
developers that
depend on the installation of library JARs installed on a web container
should provide a
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF entry in the WAR file listing the extensions that the
WAR
depends upon. The format of the manifest entry follows the standard JAR
manifest format. In
expressing dependencies on extensions installed on the web container, the
manifest entry
should follow the specification for standard extensions defined at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/
1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.
</snip>

I haven't heard anything about Tomcat 4.0 providing this service, though,
and if it doesn't, it appears that the only solutions are to put it in your
WEB-INF/lib or to use the Java2 Installed Extensions facility.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

George McKinney, Developer