At 03:05 PM 5/18/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm running tomcat 3.2.1 on Solaris. It is started in an rc2.d/ script by
>root, and therefore runs as root. We'd like to be able to have it run as
>nobody like apache does. Is there a way to do this? I read through the
>documentation on it, and it mentioned using su inside of the start scripts,
>but that method did not work.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>Jason Majors

You can't do that, unless you're willing to run
it on a port > 1024. Remember, ports below 1024
are root access only. Apache gets away with it
because it's an admin process that runs as root
+ a web server process + its native code. Tomcat,
being Java, is going to have a hard enough time
without a root process to kick it off.