You may want to use redirect in your web server config:

Redirect /dir1 http://hostname/dir1/servlet/servletname

but be aware of the problem with redirecting POSTS: it could not work,
especially if you use absolute pathes instead of relative in your servlets.
hth
* Boris Niyazov                Ph:  212-854-4094  Fax: 212-854-1749 *
* Systems Manager              Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             *
* Columbia Law School          URL: http://www.law.columbia.edu     *