-----Original Message-----
From: Milt Epstein [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 June 2001 00:19
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Gary Dale wrote:

> I'd prefer to see a news group rather than this mailing list.
> Something like comp.infosystems.www.servers.apache.jakarta or just
> comp.infosystems.www.servers.jakarta would be appropriate. For that
> matter, there should be comp.infosystems.www.servers.apache group
> too.  The ms-windows and unix subgroups of www.servers aren't very
> appropriate since many of the issues relating to Apache are common
> to multiple OSs.
[ ... ]

Seems to me, having a newsgroup is fine, but I don't see why it needs
to be an either/or thing.  There is a procedure for creating
newsgroups, and if anyone wants to get the process started for a
tomcat/jakarta/apache newsgroup (or newsgroups), they're certainly
welcome to.  But regardless of whether that happens (and/or succeeds,
which is certainly not a sure thing), there's no reason the mailing
list can't go on.

Regarding moderating the mailing list, I don't think that is feasible.
For one thing, as some have suggested, it would take a lot of work, so
it would be hard to find people to do it.  Plus philosophically, I'm
not sure we really want to go that route.  And of course, there is a
list owner (that exists as an entity, if not a person or persons, even
if they don't show themselves around here much :-), and they'd get
final say it what happens with this list.  That may be the biggest
point, because there has been no input from any "owner" on this list
for a while on any of these issues (although they are on record as
saying a newsgroup is a bad idea, mostly because many people don't
have access to newsgroups because of firewalls, proxies, and such).

Also, no disrespect intended, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea
to try to come up with sweeping ideas to "improve" a mailing list
after having only been subscribed a few weeks.  That's not very long
to get to know the ins and outs of a mailing list, how things ebb and
flow, what's been suggested/tried or not, etc.

Anyway, of the recent ideas suggested, I think the one that has the
best combination of merit/feasibility is dividing up the list into
sub-lists.  This would have to be done carefully, of course, to
actually improve the situation.  I'd be willing to give this a go
(although it might be the kind of thing where it would be good to have
more than one person involved).  The first step though, would be to
try to get in contact with the list owner and see if they would go for
it.  I'll try doing that.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Software/Systems Development Group
Computing and Communications Services Office (CCSO)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This e-mail (including any documents which may accompany it) contains
information which is confidential and may also be privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of
distribution, copying or use of this e-mail or the information in it
or attached to it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately
by e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or telephone +44 (0)207 940 1200 and
delete the e-mail.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to
Internet E-Mail for messages of this type.
Information or opinions in this message that do not relate to the
business of Windsor plc and/or subsidiary and/or associated companies
shall be treated as neither given or endorsed by it.

__
Gruss,
Wolle

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]