The problem is that the System class loader (the one that loads your
CLASSPATH environment variable) is keeping a cache around of the class.
This is why Milt (correctly) told you to remove the WEB-INF/classes from
your classpath if you want the auto-reloading to work as it is supposed to*.
If the System class loader loads your class then its impossible for Tomcat
to load it, and if Tomcat doesn't load it in the first place, then it can't
unload and reload it.

        Randy

* - Many people have problems with the way that auto-reloading works in
Tomcat.  A large number have problems like yours, and large numbers also
complain that the auto-reloading doesn't work for non-servlet classes (which
it doesn't due to complexity of the problem).