I don't think that this is the problem that is typically found in
the archives.  This stack trace indicates that Tomcat was trying to read
from the socket, not write to it.  IE won't close the socket before it sends
the request.

        However, I would say that I doubt that this is causing your Tomcat
to crash - each thread handles a request and Tomcat takes precautions so
that crashes in one thread doesn't crash others.

        Look at your system - there are only three ways to crash (kill) a
Java process:
        1.  Kill it yourself.  Probably not your problem unless you are
running JDK 1.3 as a service (if so, read the NT-Service HOWTO again for
information on why this combination is bad)
        2.  JVM crashes.  Sun is usually pretty good about printing out
messages when this type of crash occurs, check the jvm.stderr and jvm.stdout
for messages.
        3.  Other native code crashes it - Sun can't protect against this
killing the JVM and sometimes can't trap it to display a message.  This is
usually accompanied by a Dr. Watson dialog, but I believe that its possible
to disable this popup.  Check any native code that you might be using.  If
you are using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, then you can stop looking, this is your
problem - its not thread safe, considered experimental by Sun, and its use
is not advised for production systems by Sun (see Sun's Bug Parade for more
information).

        Randy