It isn't just 'static' variables that you have to be careful of, normal
instance variables should be avoided too.  You see, one instance of a
servlet
may service many many people (often there is only ever one instance of a
particular servlet!).

If you are sharing any data structure between threads, then you have
to protect them with synchronized blocks. That means that you could
use HashMap, even if it is being shared but you will have to make sure
that only one thread ever tries to access it at any time.. -ie by
gaining a lock on the HashMap itself.

I hope that helps, but with out seeing code I cann't be much more
exact.

- Chris.

Brainbench MVP Java2.

--

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or