> The XML parser should be included in the distro since new and average
> users MAY never use XML in their apps.
OK. My vote is for xerces (it is good and has same licence).
Also, it would be good to have the list of tomcat-compatible parsers.
At the moment, I tried jaxp 1.1 and latest xerces - they work correct.
What about people using IBM's one? MS's one?

BTW, for "new and average" users it is possible to use RPM dependancies.
For example, ask xerces (and sun's) people to put their classes to
parser.jar and check for this jar in RPM. Another option, RPM
pre-install script could try to find existing parser (and fail if there
is no one). RPM is rather sophisticated mechanism to deal with this
problem...

Regards,

Sergey