I had a similar problem with my Tomcat. My problem turned out to be that I
am running Mandrake 8.0 and its using a version of Apache called "Advanced
Extranet Server" http://www.advx.com .

The mod_jk.so file for me had to be place in a different directory. I
believe it was in /usr/lib/apache-extramodules. That my be a little off, but
I know that the dir name is apache-extramodules.

After placing mod_jk in the directory and making the link in httpd.conf to
the Tomcat server, I had to hand modify the auto generated conf file. I
stopped both Apache and Tomcat. Started Tomcat first and made sure it used
my modified file and then started Apache. Everything seems to work ok.

I did it this way simply cause I'm a 'noob and don't know any better. ;)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make Tomcat auto-generate a conf
file that points to the REAL location of my mod_jk I'd love to hear from
you.

Also, if someone can tell me how to get Tomcat to start prior to Apache I'd
like to know that as well. I'm not very familiar with all of the startup
scripts so any help there is much appreciated.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance.

John Brosan