If you want a servlet to init as part of your web app then you should
define it in your web app's WEB-INF/web.xml file with the following syntax:

<web-app>
     <servlet>
          <servlet-name>put your servlet's name here</servlet-name>
          <servlet-class>servlet.class.name.here</servlet-class>
          <init-param>

<param-name>nameOfParamMappingToMutatorOnServlet</param-name>
               <param-value>put the value of the parameter
here</param-value>
          </init-param>
     </servlet>

etc., ...

I believe that this will result in the execution of the servlet's init()
method.  Incidentally, "mutator" is synonymous for "setter" (e.g., setFoo(
String val)) if that's unclear.  You can also have any number of init-param
elements.

Evan

---
To design, to implement, to maintain, and not to kluge.

                    "Julia Kuznetsov"

                    <julia_kuznetsov@modus        To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    media.com>                    cc:

                                                  Subject:     How to specify a
startup servlet for an application
                    06/27/01 01:34 PM             (CONTEXT)?

                    Please respond to

                    tomcat-user

I need to load couple xml files into memory and store them in
ServletContext
when my application starts. I created a servlet to do that, but I can't
figure out how to make this servlet run automatically whem the app starts.
Is there smthg in server.xml that I can define to run this servlet?

Please help!

Julia Kuznetsov