Cantonese is usually spoken by the uneducated,
Madirin is spoken by the educated. Cantonese is
the more informal dialect, Madirin the more formal.
Listen to someone speak Cantonese, then listen to
someone speak Madirin- you'll be able to tell right
away which one's which.

Something I learned at a very young age- you say do-jeh
when someone gives you something (as in a gift), and
you say m-goi when someone does something for you
(as in a waiter bringing you food).