> hey - this looks interesting.

I'm glad you think so. I can use all the help I can get.  :)

> On Mon,  2 Jul 2001 10:40, D. Jay Newman wrote:
> > I'm sorry, but I agree with Nick.
> me too

> What sort of a protocol are you looking at?  My understanding is that _any_
> request/reply based messaging could be done this way.

Well, I'm just looking at sending XML messages back and forth. This could
easily be encapsulated into the HTTP protocol, but I don't see any reason
to make things more difficult than that are already.

> I have no idea about this in practice, but AFAIK I cant see any reason why
> you'd need to depart from a standard web.xml file.  I'm assuming that the
> servlet-class needs to be a Servlet (not HttpServlet).  How far have you got
> with this? I'd be really interested to hear more.
>
> btw - on a side note, which may be (vaguely) related.  I once tried to create
> my own HttpServletRequest and HttpServletResponse types for use within a
> servlet, to simulate firing a request to a RequestDispatcher.  It didn't work
> - the first line of forward was attempted casting my HttpServletRequest to a
> tomcat specific class.  Not sure how legit what I was doing is, or how legit
> tomcat's casting was, but it didn't work.  Things like this _might, maybe_ be
> of some use to you (o:

I've looked at the code of the connectors and such in Tomcat 4.0b5 and found
that they are very tightly tied to HTTP.

Until now I haven't had enough free time to get anything new done.
--
D. Jay Newman                   ! For the pleasure and the profit it derives
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              ! I arrange things, like furniture, and