No, there is no way to free a port.  You mentioned that Tomcat comes
up after a reboot, implying that you are running Tomcat as a service.  If
that is the case, the process name is jk_nt_service.exe.  Unless you have
another process that is constantly trying to grab that port, Tomcat is still
running - NT does free the ports when the process dies.

        Also, 2000 (and I believe NT) ship with netstat.  Using "netstat -a"
you can determine which ports are currently in use (and their state).

        Randy