Since there have been two mis-informed posts, I will also say that
Java 1.1.7 is all that is required for Tomcat 3.x.  If you want to use
security policies or certain security aspects then you will need JDK 1.2 or
above, and you will need the actual JVM, not any particular JAR, because
these features take advantage of the new for the 1.2 versions Security
architecture.

        Randy