I've made the suggested changes and I now receive the foloowing eror:

java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user:
'root@larry' (Using password: YES)
Here is the updated code...any more suggestions?

Connection con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://larry/howlerdb?user=root&password=winston2644");

Thanks
John Brosan