Here is one of the responses I've got on the dev list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 1:18 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Tomcat & Frames

Servers don't know anything about frames.  The only relevance it has in
this context is the fact that your browser will typically do multiple
requests (one per frame) simultaneously, up to some maximum -- typically
4.  This is the same reason you see multiple images being downloaded
simultaneously (these are also done on separate requests).  In most
browsers, the number of simultaneous requests is configurable somewhere.

The server is reporting "connection reset by peer" in the middle of a
request.  That means one of the following things:
* The browser started a request and the user pressed STOP.
* The browser started an request in one frame and
  JavaScript on another frame told it to go somewhere else (which
  has the same effect as a user pressing STOP).
* You have a meta refresh reload someplace that is firing so fast that
  the previous request hasn't had a chance to complete yet.  The five
  second periodicity makes me pretty suspicious of this.
* You have some network component in between (a router or proxy) that
  is misbehaving.
* You have some completely separate connection attempts going on that
  are disobeying the HTTP protocol (such as doing a telnet connection
  to port 8080 and then disconnecting).

Craig