Joe Flowers wrote:

> > > I want to create a bunch of user/programmer subdirectories like
> > >
> > > "/usr/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/joe/"
> > > "/usr/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/tom/"
> > > "/usr/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/henry/"
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > so that I can grant all servlets in these directories and subdirectories
> > > read/write access to their own separate directory structure so they
> > > won't be able to write over anyone elses files, including the "system"
> > > files, of course.
> > >

> > The above isn't possible with the Java SecurityManager.
> > A permission is granted to a CodeBase, all classes in WEB-INF have the
> > same CodeBase.
>
> Thanks a lot Glenn!
>
> In your above comment, did you mean that it "isn't possible with the
> Java SecurityManager" with Tomcat 3.x or 4.x or both?

It isn't possible at all for any application.

In case you have questions in the future, you may want to refer to the
presentation I did on Tomcat Server and Application Security at ApacheCon
2001.

http://www.more.net/events/apachecon2001/

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn Nielsen             [EMAIL PROTECTED] | /* Spelin donut madder    |