by tomcat's port you mean 8080?  the commonly accepted way of using tomcat
is to have a web server such as apache in front of it serving static
pages.  Apache then uses tomcat to handle any requests for jsps or
servlets.  Apache is of course normally listening on port 80 which is the
default http so you can omit it from your request url.  Have a look at the
tomcat-apache and mod_jk docs in the tomcat distribution.

cheesr
dim