I'm using the following configuration in my web.xml file. I have it setup so
that SSL is required. I also have it setup so that basic authentication is
required.

What I'm wondering though is what happens first, redirection to the SSL port
or basic authentication?

So, say I enter the following into my browser,

http://localhost:8080/servlet/Test

It gets redirected to,

https://localhost:8443/servlet/Test

However, I don't see the https until after I have authenticated. Does this
mean that the authentication happened before the redirection?

Jon

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>