I am sending  shift_jis multibyte characters as part of http get request to
a servlet. But from the headers I get I am not able to say what the encoding
is. I cannot always assume that the charset  is shift_jis because it could
be big5 or something else in other cases. Doesnt the http request protocol
have a header saying what the encoding is?

Does anybody know?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Ganesh

I have enclosed the http request that my browser sent :

GET
/MessageServlet?message=%8E%A9%93%AE%92%85%90M%89w%88%F5%91S%91R%8A%88%90%AB
+auto+attendant+not+active HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword,
*/*
Host: localhost:8080
Connection: Keep-Alive