Hi Dmitri,

Thanks for writing.

> Are there really more than 1000 threads?  When I start tomcat I get about
> 35 threads... are you running a standardish configuration or have you
> changed things?

When I start tomcat, I get around the same threads as you. When the servlets
get accessed, the thread count starts increasing.

> Are there really more than 1000 threads?  When I start tomcat I get about
> 35 threads... are you running a standardish configuration or have you
> changed things?

Hmm.. This could be a possibility.. The person who installed might have
changed something..

> When you say you've checked your servlets and none of them have threads
> that dont end - are you sure?

My observation is this :
On the server giving trouble, not all servlets show this problem. Our main
servlet gives this trouble.
Here's why I think the thread in the servlet is ending correctly. The last
line of the thread has a print statement which executes and I see the
display.
Also, the last line of doPost has a print statement and that executes as
well.

Also, the same webapp runs on another machine with Tomcat 3.1, and there are
no problems on that machine.

So I think it could be as you suggest, a setup issue. It is probably not a
bug in Tomcat, for this would be a very major bug - it brings down our
server within a few hours.

I am planning on replacing this with Tomcat 3.2.3 this weekend. But I wanted
to investigate in the meantime to find out why its happening. The servlet in
question talks to a server thru TCP-IP, and finally closes the connection
before completing (which I have verified from the server). There dont seem
to be any resources doing anything...

I am thinking of doing a server-side profiling using JProbe to see whats
going on.

Any ideas (is there any way to get more info about the threads that Tomcat
creates) ?

Regards,
Somik