What's the actual error message?

Maybe you can print out the SQL statement to see if the syntax is OK. It
could be invalid SQL. Are you running this under Windows NT/2000 or
9x/ME? Maybe the user Tomcat runs under doesn't have access rights on
this database?

I don't really use Access, I'm just trying to apply my PostgreSQL
experiences...

And maybe you can have a look at JBoss or similar EJB container. No more
SQL...

Bojan