To cut and paste from %TOMCAT_HOME%\doc\readme

6.6 Avoiding "Out of environment space" errors on Windows 95/98

This error can easily occur since the default amount of environment space
is typically insufficient to run Tomcat.  Here are a couple of ways to
avoid it.

  A. If you use the MS-DOS Prompt to start Tomcat, execute Programs ->
     MS-DOS Prompt.  Right-click the MS-DOS icon on the left of the title
bar
     and select Properties at the bottom of the menu.  In the MS-DOS
Prompt
     Properties dialog select the Memory tab.  In the "Initial
environment:"
     field, set a sufficiently high number.  If you are not sure, 3072
should
     be plenty.  Click OK and close the MS-DOS Prompt window.  Execute
     Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt again, navigate to the directory where you
     installed Tomcat.  Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable if not set
     already.  You should be able to execute "bin\startup" and
"bin\shutdown"
     to start and stop Tomcat without getting an "Out of environment
space"
     error.

  B. If you want to start Tomcat by double clicking a batch file such as
     startup.bat, you should right-click on the desired batch file in
Windows
     Explorer and select Properties to open the MS-DOS Prompt Properties
     dialog.  Select the Memory tab and set the "Initial environment:" as
     described above.  You may want to also select the Program tab and
check
     "Close on exit".  Then click OK.  A shortcut with these settings will
be
     created in same directory with the same base name as the batch
file.  You
     should be able to double-click the shortcut or the batch file to
execute
     without getting an "Out of environment space" error.  If you wish to
     execute startup.bat and shutdown.bat in this fashion, you will need
to do
     the above for both files.  In addition, you need to provide for
setting
     JAVA_HOME.  This may be done by adding a "SET JAVA_HOME=path to your
jdk"
     line to your autoexec.bat or to the startup.bat and shutdown.bat
files
     themselves.

hth,
dim