I just downloaded Tomcat 3.2.3 and before even attempting to build it
I have a problem: it appears that the signature on
jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3-src.tar.gz doesn't match any of the Apache
developer signatures in the KEYS file distributed at
http://www.apache.org/dist/

(It also appears that someone else pointed out this very same problem
awhile back, but I didn't see any replies in the mailing list
archives, so I'll inquire again).

I'm using GNUPG 1.0.6 on FreeBSD 4.3 to attempt to check the
signature.

asc@mauinui: ~> gpg /tmp/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3-src.tar.gz.asc
gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 17 07:38:39 2001 HST using DSA key ID 45ABB45D

asc@mauinui: ~> gpg --import KEYS
gpg: key 2719AF35: not changed
gpg: key A99F75DD: not changed
gpg: key A0BB71C1: not changed
gpg: key 08C975E5: not changed
gpg: key DD919C31: not changed
gpg: key 940A64BD: not changed
gpg: key 631B5749: not changed
gpg: key 49A563D9: not changed
gpg: key 2F90A69D: not changed
gpg: key BA20321D: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: key 26BB437D: not changed
gpg: key 45B91DF1: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: key 163751F5: not changed
gpg: key EE65E321: not changed
gpg: key FDE534D1: not changed
gpg: key EC140B81: not changed
gpg: key F08E012A: not changed
gpg: key F88341D9: not changed
gpg: key 28AA55C5: not changed
gpg: key C808A7BF: not changed
gpg: key 00ADEBF5: not changed
gpg: key 62C48B29: not changed
gpg: key 10FDE075: not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 23
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 2
gpg:              unchanged: 21

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I can't help thinking about the
not-too-long-ago compromise of the Apache.org site.  Any suggestions
for how to remedy this problem?

Thanks-

Aaron