Recent versions of ANT supply a shell or batch script that
tries to do a lot as far as setting up the correct environment.
Current projects make use of that to simplify the steps
required to build the project.

If you are using the build.sh and build.bat in the
jakarta-servletapi project, be aware that they have not been
updated since before the above feature was added to ANT.
Instead, they invoke the "java org.apache.tools.ant.Main ..."
directly, bypassing the above feature.  As a result,
you will need to manually insure that tools.jar is on your
CLASSPATH.

A better solution is to use ANT 1.3 (in case you aren't
already).  Make sure ANT's bin directory is in your
PATH.  Then you should be able to make the
jakarta-servletapi directory the current directory and
simply execute "ant".  You will see a "deprecated" warning,
which indicates that the build.xml was written for an
earlier version of Ant (my guess is Ant 1.1).

Hope this helps.
Larry