I'm wondering if in Tomcat 4 there is a "restart" command that you can use
to restart it rather than having to "stop" and "start" it using startup and
shutdown scripts?

The problem that I have is that it takes time for it to startup and
shutdown, especially when you have SSL enabled. So, a restart command would
be nice. Or, if it printed out messages like it does in Tomcat 3.x where as
each listening port becomes active (i.e. first port 8080 for HTTP, then
later when HTTPS is available and the SecureRandom has been generated), it
prints out a message to the screen. This way you know when Tomcat is fully
started or stopped. Otherwise, the scripts just return you back to the UNIX
prompt before it's actually started up or shutdown and you don't know
exactly when that process is complete.

I guess a restart command isn't really that important although it would be
nice. I like the messages that are displayed in Tomcat 3.x better though. I
like knowing exactly when the ports are ready for use.

Jon