$10K?  Geez, I'm in the wrong business...

Someone may have a better way to check the Tomcat version, but for my
version at least (3.2.1) the quickest way seems to be to look in the
docs/readme file under the Tomcat home directory.  Right at the top it
says the version.

None of the startup messages in the logfiles seem to indicate the
version.  That might be a Nice To Have.

Also, because of the way the distributions are packaged, all of our
Tomcat installations include the version in the path, e.g.:
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/...

dwh