On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is there any way to suppress the whitespace that is output by jsp's in
> Tomcat/Catalina?  I have a simple jsp that generates a .csv, and sets the
> HTTP headers so that it opens in Excel (intranet app).  Even with cramming
> all the jsp intro stuff on one line, I still end up with one blank line as
> the first line of output.  (actually, one newline code).

I have been using two approaches when producing output formats where extra
newlines are not allowed.

Either I leave them inside tags like...

  <%@ whatever...
  %><%@ whatever..
  %>Here goes the first line of output

...or using comments like...

  <%@ whatever... %><%--
  --%>Here goest the first line of output

I have to admit this is not very elegant so I would be happy to know of
any cleaner alternatives.

--
Johannes Lehtinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/