I'm sure a million people are going to say

RTFM

But I'm nice :)

Have a look at mod_jk . It is a very nice module and allows
apache to send requests through to tomcat.
You can have more than one apache and more than tomcat - depending
on how many machines you have :)

Your webapps setup is a tomcat thing. I tend to copy zero length
files ( ie blank .jsp pages) onto the area that apache serves from
so that it can do the checks for index.jsp etc and be happy !

Happy reading

David