Many thanks, Craig, Aravind and Shaun, for your comments. They are most
appreciated.

I set the TOMCAT_OPTS to "-server -Xms64m -Xmx192m" as you suggested
Shaun... I wasn't aware of the HotSpot application, I'm now reading up in
it. Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I still cannot launch a 7th Tomcat process, and I don't
understand why not. I feel I'm missing something, but I just can't figure it
out. 6 works, but adding a seventh raises the OutOfMemoryError.

It does appear from the console output that Tomcat fails when it tries to
start a PoolTCPConnector. I start two connectors for each application (ie,
Tomcat process), one is an Ajp13ConnectionHandler, the second an
Ajp12ConnectionHandler which I understand is required for Tomcat to be
closed down.

I've included one of my server.xml files below, just in case there is a
glaring error in there. There's an xml for each application, they are all
the same except for the different ports I've assigned, and the log and work
file names etc.

Any further suggestions would be most appreciated, I'm have a minor heart
attack at thought of having to buy one server for every 6 small jsp
applications I want to run!

Thanks, Max Hugen

<Server>
 <!-- Debug low-level events in XmlMapper startup -->
 <xmlmapper:debug level="0" />

 <Logger name="tc_log"
  path="logs/isp_tomcat.log"
  verbosityLevel = "INFORMATION" />

 <Logger name="servlet_log"
  path="logs/isp_servlet.log"
  verbosityLevel = "INFORMATION" />

 <Logger name="JASPER_LOG"
  path="logs/isp_jasper.log"
  verbosityLevel = "INFORMATION" />

 <ContextManager debug="0" workDir="work_isp" showDebugInfo="true" >

  <!-- ==================== Interceptors ==================== -->

  <!-- ContextInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.context.LogEvents" -->

  <ContextInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.context.AutoSetup" />
  <ContextInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.context.WebXmlReader" />

  <!-- Uncomment out if you have JDK1.2 and want to use policy
  <ContextInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.context.PolicyInterceptor" /> -->

  <ContextInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.context.LoaderInterceptor" />
  <ContextInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.context.DefaultCMSetter"
/>
  <ContextInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.context.WorkDirInterceptor" />

  <!-- Request processing -->
  <RequestInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.request.SessionInterceptor" noCookies="false"
/>

  <!-- Find the container ( context and prefix/extension map ) for a
request. -->
  <RequestInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.request.SimpleMapper1"
debug="0" />

  <!-- Non-standard invoker, for backward compat. ( /servlet/* ) -->
  <RequestInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.request.InvokerInterceptor" prefix="/servlet/"
debug="0" />

  <!-- "default" handler - static files and dirs. -->
  <RequestInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.request.StaticInterceptor" debug="0"
suppress="false" />

  <!-- Plug a session manager. You can plug in more advanced session
modules. -->
  <RequestInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.session.StandardSessionInterceptor" />

  <!-- Check if the request requires an authenticated role. -->
  <RequestInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.request.AccessInterceptor" debug="0" />

  <!-- Check permissions using the simple xml file. You can plug more
advanced authentication modules. -->
  <RequestInterceptor className="org.apache.tomcat.request.SimpleRealm"
debug="0" />

  <!-- Loaded last since JSP's that load-on-startup use request handling -->
  <ContextInterceptor
className="org.apache.tomcat.context.LoadOnStartupInterceptor" />

  <!-- ==================== Connectors ==================== -->

  <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
   <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler"/>
   <Parameter name="port" value="8104"/>
  </Connector>

  <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
   <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler"/>
   <Parameter name="port" value="8204"/>
  </Connector>

  <Context path=""
   docBase="/home/sites/site4/web/det-isp"