How many Apache children do you have?  The default is 256, which will indeed
almost immediately consume all the threads in the Tomcat thread pool if you do
not increase it.  Each Apache child uses a thread.

With ajp13, what counts is really the number of Apache children that are
active.  You can easily count them with the Apache status mod or by using ps.

It is really a "buglet" that the Tomcat thread default is set lower than the
Apache default.

Bill