What you might find the easiest is to use apache's
ErrorDocument 500 <url>

command very useful.

If tomcat is down apache generates a 500 error.

Apache can then intercept that and use a page ( static HTML/CGI/Other
URL)
to generate a 'we've gone walkies for a bit - back soon' type message

David
PS I know this - it bit me in the ass.