On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Ratnakar  Palle wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:07:07 -0700
> From: Ratnakar  Palle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Servlet/JSP - content-type
>
> Hi Craig,
>
> Thanks for your quick response...
> I understand that RequestDispatcher.forward() erases any headers but I'm not
> setting any header info in the servlet. I want to set it in the jsp, how do
> I do that!!
> I've the charset info in the databean and I want to use that bean to set it
> in the jsp like I indicated in my previous mail:
>
> <%@ page language="java" %>
> <jsp:useBean id="controller" scope="request"
> class="apps.test.LoginController" ></jsp:useBean>
> <% response.setContentType("text/html;charset=" + controller.getCharset());>
> %>
>
> Any idea??
>
> Hope I was clear!!

Ah, missed that little detail ... I jumped to an incorrect conclusion when
you said "model 2" :-)

In a JSP 1.1 environment (i.e. Tomcat 3.x), the character set used on the
output page itself is determined by when the container calls
response.getWriter().  There is no spec language to define this, so
containers are free to do what they want -- and Tomcat calls
response.getWriter() before your scriptlet has the chance to do anything.
Therefore, your custom character encoding is ignored.

In a JSP 1.2 environment (i.e. Tomcat 4.0), the container is supposed to
wait before calling getWriter() until you fill the buffer (or flush it
yourself).  Therefore, your code should work in Tomcat 4.

> Thanks,
> -Ratnakar

Craig