Christoph,

In Tomcat 3.3, I would recommend the following steps

1. Copy and rename the ApacheConfig.java, say MyApacheConfig.java
   for example purposes.
2. Implement your functionally in MyApacheConfig.java
3. Compile MyApacheConfig.java and put the class in a jar file.
4. Put the jar in Tomcat 3.3's "lib/container" directory.
5. Add a line to the "conf/modules.xml" file containing:

    <module name="MyApacheConfig"
      javaClass="org.apache.tomcat.modules.config.MyApacheConfig"/>

6. Replace the "<ApacheConfig .../>" with "<MyApacheConfig ...>" in
   the server.xml.

Not having to rebuild Tomcat to incorporate your customization
is one of the advantages of Tomcat 3.3 over 3.2.x, and one of its
primary goals.

Cheers,
Larry