I've started looking into deploying a WAR file to
distribute my application.  I used the "dist" target
from the sample build.xml file in the tomcat documentation
to build the WAR file itself (app.name is opf):

    <jar jarfile="${dist.home}/${app.name}.war"
         basedir="${deploy.home}"/>

I put the opf.war file into the webapps directory and
restarted the server and everything worked great!

I also had a look at the contents of the file and noticed
the standard META-INF directory.  But,
section 9.5 of the Servlet 2.3 PFD specification says

   "... a META-INF directotry will be present which contains
    information useful to the Java Archive tools.  If this
    directory is present, the servlet container must not allow
    it be served as content to a web client's request"

If I'm interpreting this correctly, what I tried above shouldn't
have worked since the .war file _did_ contain a META-INF directory.
I'm using RedHat 7.1 and Tomcat 4.0 RC1.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kevin HaleBoyes