There is no current mechanism to do this -- the error page mechanism
described in the Servlet Specification works only "inside" a web app, not
"outside".

The best way to make sure this gets addressed is to submit an Enhancement
Request via the bug tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

under product category "Tomcat 4".  Under the "Severity" option, select
"Enhancement" because this isn't a bug, it's a feature request.

Craig